Thanks everyone for your votes and comments, they were very helpful. As per consensus, I’ve decided to enter ‘Aberdeen’ and ‘Silver & Gold’ into the Aberdeen Artists’ exhibition – the drop-off is April 14th/15th. Now here’s hoping at least one of them gets accepted!! I have been busy busy busy lately trying to get the paintings ready to go, including scanning them for prints, varnishing them and framing them. ‘Aberdeen’ has yet to be framed, but I got a frame for ‘Silver & Gold’ – I was a little unsure at first, but I think I’ve decided I like it. It highlights the golds in the picture and warms it up a bit, I think. What do you think? I have no idea why the edges look curved – they aren’t in real life!

Silver & Gold (framed)

Silver & Gold (framed)

I have also decided to open my own Etsy shop sometime soon, so that eventually my paintings and prints of my paintings (including greeting cards) will be available for sale! So, I have bought a bunch of equipment so that I’m ready to set up my own little printing press, basically, which should all be winging its way to me now from various sources. Exciting! Still needs some trial-and-error testing and ironing out of kinks for now, but I’m aiming for this summer. Yikes!

I spent a lot of today varnishing my paintings. Now, I never used to varnish before. I didn’t really see the point. But now that I’m trying to exhibit and (hopefully) sell my paintings, I figure I really ought to be a bit more pro about this, and finish them up with a lick of varnish. It was going well until I started on ‘Silver & Gold’. The miniature beads on that painting are held on with PVA/white glue, and when the varnish went over the bit with the glue on it, it turned a milky white. I nearly had a heart attack, thinking it was the white of the trees smearing, and that my painting was ruined. In a blind panic, I phoned the hubster at work, who has more expertise in varnish than I do, and he calmed me down by explaining it was just the glue dissolving a bit and that it would all dry clear again. Lo and behold, a little bit later, when it started to dry, it was indeed going clear again. Whew! Crisis averted!

I also did another painting today. I was inspired by this pen and ink drawing using nice selective color, by Leonard Osgood (who I came across while browsing the Wet Canvas artists’ forum). I was intending on just doing the robin’s breast in color, kind of like Leonard’s cat eyes, but I got a bit carried away – hey, watercolors are fun!

So, it started out like this:

Little Robin Redbreast (pencil drawing)

Little Robin Redbreast (pencil drawing)

….and ended up like this:

Little Robin Redbreast (pencil & watercolor)

Little Robin Redbreast (pencil & watercolor)

Advertisements